Making off without payment or bilking

If someone stays at your hotel and deliberately leaves without paying this is a type of theft.

It is known as ‘making off without payment’ or 'bilking’.

Using West Midlands Police as an example, a helper guide online as to what actions can be taken depending on your circumstances:

The output from one such test of the guide: Leaving a hotel without paying and there are witnesses … My situation is this has happened more than once … The person who did this I think I know who did this … Evidence wise - there is video footage or photos … My concerns are - this is affecting my mental or physical health.

If you are a witness or know someone who is then the Police need to know your / their details including name, address and telephone number. If this has happened more than once, please tell them when you report it to them. Please provide details of other times this has happened.

If you know the person or people who have done this, the Police will need you to tell them how you know them and why you think they are linked to the offence. If you have video or photographic evidence, make sure you download and save it, as this could be invaluable to the investigation.

If you choose to report this incident online (say, to the West Midlands Police) you can upload the evidence directly to them with your report. If there is enough evidence, officers may arrest and charge a suspect. The court will then decide whether the person is guilty, and if so, allocate a suitable sentence.  

A community resolution may also be considered.